Monday, November 10, 2008

Black gram sweet ball. (Ulunthan kali)

The ulunthangali is a traditional food prepared in villages of Tamilnadu.
People make this ulunthankali as a healthy breakfast for girls who attains puberty. They mix this kali (sweet ball) with gingelly / sesame oil as garnishing layer. Moreover everyone can consume this for its high nutrition and fibre content.
This is considered to be a wholesome food and so it is served as breakfast. (But I prepare it for an early dinner too). Actually people use dry powdered blackgram and rice flour.
But I have tweaked it with germinated whole black gram (urid dhal) and substituted palm jaggery (not available here) with ordinary jaggery.
It is believed that palm jaggery can be safely used in small amounts even by diabetic people .



Ingredients:
whole Black gram - 1 cup
fenugreek / methi seeds - 1 tbsp
rice flour - 2 tbsp
jaggery - 1 cup
garlic pearls - 6
Gingelly oil - 2 tbsp

Method:

Wash and soak black gram and methi seeds together in water overnight (10 hours).
Grind the soaked black gram with methi seeds to a fine paste.
Heat 2 cups of water and jaggery.
(If you are lucky enough to get palm jaggery , then use that instead of jaggery).
Let it dissolve. Filter any dirt present.
Mix the jaggery solution with rice flour and ground black gram mixture.
Add chopped garlic. Then heat them in slow fire with constant stirring.
After the black gram gets cooked , the raw smell will disappear and the gali starts leaving the vessel like haalwa.
Then add gingelly oil and mix well.
Ulunthangali is ready.

Serving suggestions:

Garnish with Gingelly oil and Serve hot as breakfast.

This recipe is reaching FIC : Purple & Black .

22 comments:

Purva Desai said...

This is new for me....Black Gram sweet ball.....sounds healthy...
Thanks for sharing

Cham said...

Never tasted this kalli, so this one is made with panam vellam? Should be an healthy one!

Sunshinemom said...

This one is different from the rice flour kali I know of. Must be good for the back too with that much methi seeds going in! Good recipe:)

Gita Jaishankar said...

I have never made this. Sounds like a healthy brekafast instead of toasts or cereals, thanks for the recipe Viki :)

Vibaas said...

Thanks for passing the award to me Viki. I feel very happy and honored.

This recipe is completely new to me. Sounds healthy and very different.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

never heard of this kali. seems to be rich in protein.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

This is such a healthy dish and it definitely needs patience, mmm nice kalli...

jayasree said...

I have heard of this kali. But have never tasted it. Should give a try.

Adlak's tiny world said...

Cant beilive it jus i was searching for this recepi dear. I got this here. Thanks for visiting and sharing the award to me.

kali looks healthy i too heard of this more.

Vijitha said...

Hi viki
Oh i can never forget having this kaali!! but i remem eating this with ghee..
nice post! thanks reminding me abou this.

vidhas said...

I have tasted ulunthan kali when i was carrying my first one. My neighbour aunty made it for me. Yours looks gergoeus

Jaishree Iyer said...

Never tasted this kalli..sounds healthy...will try

ST said...

There is small treat waiting for u at my blog:)

This is new for me....Black Gram sweet ball sounds healthy and very delicious...

Malar Gandhi said...

We make it somewhat similar back home...your version sounds good to me!

Priya Suresh said...

First time here..u have a lovely blog..delicious collections of dishes too...ulunthan kali,wat a healthy dish, looks great..keep on rocking dear..

Usha said...

Surprised to see garlic and jaggery together in one dish, have never seen this...sounds wholesome :-)

Unknown said...

This is totally new...i never hapd to taste this..have to try definitely...ANd thank u for ur award...Sorry nt into freq blogging nowadays..ITs so nice of u to pass it on..will acknowledge soon.Thank u

Raks said...

My mother too make this,but in a different way...she says its good for especially us ladies!nice idea to add methi seeds!

THAMBURAATY said...

Hi Viki, I stumbled upon your blog when searching for Ghee/Suji Biscuit recipe. I have'copied' your recipe and will try out soon(for Deepavali). I would like to thank you for posting the recipe for Ulunthan Kali. I remember my late mom making it for me when I attained age.I love it so much. I will surely make this when my girls (aged 11 & 12) attain age. Thank you also for the Venthaya Kalli recipe.My mom used to make that too for me. Trust me, this really help when you have backache. My brother's mom in law made the venthaya kanji when I had backache after delivering my son (now aged 14). A lot of the recipes in you blog bring back fond memories of my mum's cooking which I did not get a chance to learn (she passsed away when I was 17). Please keep up the good work. May God Bless you for all your hard work in posting the great recipes.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Anonymous: You need to stir it till the kali leaves the vessel and sticks with the stirring spoon.
But keep the flame very low.

Ratna said...

Hello viki,
some of the advice here is exactly what my mom told me. And this is, by far, the first time I'm seeing someone blogging on how to make ulunthukali! We only have it at home.
You remind me of my mom:).great job on your cooking!

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thanks mindhaven. Just shared my knowledge here and I am very glad to see all your responses. Thanks my friend.

Chow chow Paruppu koottu and peel thogayal

Chow chow / Bangalore Kathirikai / Chayote  A dal curry paruppu koottu with chow chow and a spicy chutney using it's peel (chow chow tho...