Monday, August 24, 2009

Ginger chicken (Indian version)

Ginger chicken is a chinese dish. Sometime before, I tasted this chicken dish in a restaurant in Tuticorin (TN, India) with more Indian touch. It was so tangy and spicy drenched with all that ginger .
Here I should mention, Tuticorin is famous for exotic non vegetarian food.
I tried many permutations and combination to arrive at a formula to make this.
So here is my version of ginger chicken.




Ingredients:

Chicken (boneless) - 1 lb (1/2 kg)
Ginger - 50 gm
clove - 5
cinnamon - 1 inch
black pepper - 1 tsp
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Red color - 3 drops
Salt - to taste
egg - 1
lemon - (1 juice)
plain Indian yogurt - 4 tbsp
AP flour / maida - 1 tbsp
oil - To deep fry

Method:

Cut the chicken into small cubes.
Grind the ginger to a fine paste along with cinnamon, cloves, salt and black pepper. Marinate the chicken with all items given above except the oil for 2 hrs or overnight in fridge.

Heat oil in a wok and deep fry the marinated chicken pieces till it is completely cooked. keep aside.

To Temper (finishing touch):
Onion - 1 (big)
oil - 1 tbsp
salt - to taste (3/4 tsp)
curry leaf - 1 sprig
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Lemon - 1
slivered ginger - a handful

Cut the onion into thin long pieces.
Heat a wok with a tbsp oil.
Add the onion and fry for a while till it gets half cooked.
Then put the curry leaf, salt, chilli powder, the fried chicken and mix well.

Put off stove.
Squeeze the lime juice and add the finely slivered ginger pieces. Check for salt.
Mix well and serve hot.

Serving suggestion:

This is a dry curry.
Goes well with chapathi, roti and rice.
Serves 6 people.

Event:





Ginger chicken goes as the 'Side dish for chapathi', an event hosted by me.
Rush your entries before September 15, 2009.

29 comments:

Sushma Mallya said...

loved this ginger chicken...sounds delicious...will def try this weekend....

Priya Suresh said...

Such a mouthwatering chicken dish Viki..lovely..

Shama Nagarajan said...

lovely this chicken dear....nice presentation

ST said...

Nice presentation...
Soup 'N Juice Event is going on in my blog.Please do participate in it.

Anupama said...

Looks terrific... bookmarked!!!

Mythreyi Dilip said...

Looks delicious will try soon:)

Sailaja Damodaran said...

tempting......

Gita Jaishankar said...

Wow Viki...thats a very tempting chicken...this is very new to me...I have to try it soon :)

Pavithra Elangovan said...

I dont eat chicken i think i can adopt this recipe to mushroom

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thank you friends, yes pavithra, we can modify this recipe to use with mushroom / cauliflower / potato.

ST said...

Viki -Rasam don't come under soup category...

Subhie Arun said...

loved ginger chicken....looks delicious n yummy...

chakhlere said...

Loved that recipe!! too good!

Nandinis food said...

Slurpilicious! Can't control my tongue!

Sunanda said...

wow I love the color... looks very tempting.. nice presentation too

Pooja said...

bookamrked viki will try these asap !
drooool

Anonymous said...

Would check this one..yummy and mouthwatering..so,done a lot of trials ? so fine..I can finish that plate faster..lol

Poornima Nair said...

Thats mouthwatering, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Chitra said...

Looks nice viki..My next post is for ur event :)

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Wow Vick that's one succulent chicken recipe u got there..wish I could grasp the whole plate for myself....simply delicious

lubnakarim06 said...

I love the flavour of ginger in chicken...looks yum....garlic milk is very new to me....

Rina said...

Ginger chicken look yum,vikki..My hubby always narrates his food experiences from tuticoran the few years he happened to be there..
Thanx for sharing this recipe..will luv to try it.

Vijitha said...

yum yum yummy viki!

Urmi said...

I liked your blog very much. I appreciate for the wonderful presentation. I am fond of chicken and your ginger chicken looks delicious and I will definitely try it out.
You are welcome in my blogs.

Lena Jayadev said...

this is yummy Vikz....i tried that milk with garlic..i didn like the taste..but after a long time i slept nicely..thank uu vikzzz... :)

Indian Khana said...

Looks delicious..pic is so tempting..hope you hav received my entry

lissie said...

nice presentation...finger-licking chicken dish!

Please collect your Awards from my blog dear...

Unknown said...

Viki, I've been a secret admirer.I've tried two receipes of yours. One was mutton kulumbhu and now Ginger chicken.we loved it very much. Thanks.Shoba.

Vikis Kitchen said...

Thank you Shoba. I am very glad to know you all liked the mutton kulambu and ginger chicken. You made my day dear. Have a blessed day.

Chow chow Paruppu koottu and peel thogayal

Chow chow / Bangalore Kathirikai / Chayote  A dal curry paruppu koottu with chow chow and a spicy chutney using it's peel (chow chow tho...