Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Tomato rice (home style)

It is the habit of Tamil people to make different colors of variety rice like elumichai / lime rice (yellow), puliyotharai / tamarind rice(brown), thakkali / tomato rice (red), kothamalli / cilantro rice (green), thengai saatham / coconut rice, curd rice (white) , milagu saatham/ pepper rice , ellotharai/ sesame rice (black) etc during their family get-together.
They are generally called kalantha saatham (mixed variety rice) or chithrannam in Tamil.

Tomato rice is the most favorite for many of us. Hope all are familiar with a tomato rice with fennel , cinnamon and a biryani like flavor in tomato rice. But this is a very humble variety with unbeatable tangy taste that would tempt us to eat more.
Moreover I have devoured this kind of tomato rice along with paruppu thogayal and masal vadai in vegetarian restaurants of Tirunelveli. But couldn't find it in Madras. So I guess it as a very native / homely method to make this simple thakkali saatham.

I am describing my mom's way here, as she (as well as me) had appreciated this version over the biryani flavored one always. In both way tomato blends well with rice and that's what we like...right:)



Ingredients:

Uncooked rice - 1 1/4 cup (for 2 people)
Ripen Tomato (juicy variety) - 3
green chilly - 5
Shallot onion - 6
Turmeric powder - a pinch
red chilly powder - 1/4 tsp
salt - 1 tsp
Sesame oil - 3 tsp
mustard - 1/2 tsp
channa dhal - 1 tbsp
curry leaf - 1 sprig
cilantro (chopped) - 1 tbsp

Method:
Bring to boil 5 cups of water along with 1/4 tsp salt.
Wash and add the rice.
Cook till it becomes soft (but individual grains). Using a colander strain and discard all the water. Keep the cooked rice aside.

Heat oil in a wok.
Splutter the mustard seed, add channa dhal, curry leaf, cilantro and fry well.
Now add the chopped shallot and fry till it becomes soft.
Then add the finely chopped tomato , green chilly, turmeric powder, chilly powder, salt and cook covered till the tomato gets mushy.

Now open the lid and cook the tomato gravy till it becomes a thick gravy. Put off fire.

Then add the cooked rice and mix carefully without breaking the grains.

Tomato rice is ready!

Serving suggestions:
Serve along with paruppu thogayal, masal vadai , potato chips or any poriyal.

29 comments:

Chitra said...

I loveeeeeeeeeee tomato rice ...My all time favv..I am drooling..will try this method soon :)

Sunitha said...

Nice recipe.. Viki

Sunitha said...

Very nice recipe.. thanks you

Rina said...

Viki, Tomato Rice is a meal in itself..can be eaten just like that just w/ a pappad..doesn't need a side dish..yummy!! I too follow ur method..

San!!! said...

Tomato rice with potato fry is one of my favs.Pic is making me drool.

Sailaja Damodaran said...

My mom usually makes it with left over rice....tasty with raita

prasu said...

I love tomato rice........ur recipe looks yumm and delicious.

Priya Suresh said...

I used to prepare this whenever i have some left over rice...delicious dish..

suvaiyaana suvai said...

simply superb!!!

Anupama said...

I'm drooling over this pic (literally) and even though I just had my lunch, I feel hungry all over again :-)

Nandinis food said...

Whenever I'm lazy I prepare this tomato rice with appalam. Simple and tasty rice!

Malar Gandhi said...

We always prefer thakkali saadham in traditional way...delish:)

Soma Pradhan said...

Tomato rice looks very yummy..Even my fav

Sushma Mallya said...

Nice recipe viki...i have never made it this way, surely will try ur version as it seems to be really good

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

Simple and yummy

chef and her kitchen said...

I love this rice..simple n nice..

Suparna said...

I like easy dishes :) and this is one of my best sought recipe on a lazy day! I put all the ingre. in the cooker, ur method is new shall try it dear :)
TC

gtyuk said...

I love all the varieties you've listed, and most of them are wonderful with a thuvayal, my favourite combination too :)
we also do the tomato rice like the briyani style and sometimes we add some prawns to it to make it half era saadham :)
this method sounds simpler and quick too; thank you for reminding this dish!! have a nice day Viki!!

Gita Jaishankar said...

Nice click dear...this is my favorite mixed rice variety...I too make this very often..at least once a week...take care Viki...enjoy your holidays dear :)

Tina said...

Simple and delicious recipe...

Namitha said...

Love this rice...a comfort food :-)

Unknown said...

an all time favourite..

my kitchen said...

Simply superb,Loves to eat

Lavanya Siva said...

Tomato rice is always on my list,when i need to do somethings quick but at the same time tasty. Nice dish

Sarah Naveen said...

Simply yummy one dea..!!

Indian Girl said...

Hi Viki,
I am from Tamil Nadu, from conservative Madurai I went to school in Madras.
Coming across your blog was like going home for me.
I feel like my mom is cooking downstairs and i am waiting to go down and taste her spicy amai vadai on a cool rainy day.
Your style is so South Indian and wonderful.
Very nice. Hope to meet you one day, Sheila.

Indian Girl said...

Viki,
I felt like I was back at home,with my mother making me my favorite spicy amai vadai on a cool rainy day.
I am from consrtvative Madurai and I enjoy your style of writing.
I am now in California. If you come this side, let me know, I'd like to meet you,
Sheila

Vikis Kitchen said...

Hi Sheila, Thanks for the lovely words dear. Sure, your comment elevated my blog to the next level. Just like you said, I too get carried away while narrating our home town foods that reminds me of those days and find my comfort in that imaginary world for some time :) Amai vadai or bajji by amma during those rainy days were never forgettable. Now we are cooking for our family still longing for that pampering :) We ladies are always children at heart when it comes to remembering our mom's food:) Thanks for the invite ....Wishing the same here! Have a happy weekend dear.

foodgalleri said...

simple & delicious recipe ..

my first visit to your space & following you already :)

Chow chow Paruppu koottu and peel thogayal

Chow chow / Bangalore Kathirikai / Chayote  A dal curry paruppu koottu with chow chow and a spicy chutney using it's peel (chow chow tho...