Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Idiyappam and Paaya

After posting the idiyappam recipe, I couldn't resist raving about this  famous combo, 'Idiyaappam with aattukkaal paaya'. It resembles the famous Nihari dish and has some history behind. click to read. Traditionally the paaya should be cooked overnight or 6-8 hours. But I am narrating a simple process.

Preparing 'paaya and idiyappam' together is a time consuming process for me. I always plan the paaya for lunch with some ghee fried rice and save some paaya for dinner......So that I can leisurely indulge myself with my idiyappam process by evening:)

Idiyappam with aattukaal paya (goat leg curry).

Here is the link to both of my recipes. Enjoy!

Idiyappam
Paya

Tips:
I suggest using white raw rice flour(pacharisi mavu) for making idiyappam to serve with paya. That will yield very soft idiyappam (like the street foods) while the red rice flour idiyappam is good to go with sugar.

9 comments:

Simplyfood said...

Looks wonderfully tasty.

Manju said...

the combo sounds great! have you used a slow cooker to make the paaya? Just wondering..

Vikis Kitchen said...

Simply food: Thanks dear.
Manju: Thanks dear. I used a regular prestige pressure cooker. But traditionally they cook the paaya overnight in low fire in a clay vessel.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Lovely combo,its been ages since I made(had) this.

Sravs said...

Delicious combo and very interesting recipe !!

Ongoing Event - CC-Holiday Baking

Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

Very taste and yummy paaya with idiyappam..perfect combination Viki

Prema said...

wonderful combo,very tempting...

Priya Suresh said...

Looks simply irresistible,been ages i had paaya..

Chitra said...

HAve heard abt paya but never seen it. Ur idiyappam looks the way it has to be. perfect :)

Chow chow Paruppu koottu and peel thogayal

Chow chow / Bangalore Kathirikai / Chayote  A dal curry paruppu koottu with chow chow and a spicy chutney using it's peel (chow chow tho...