Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Rice stuffed capsicum

Till last year I was thinking that these big box stores are stocked with just baby items and paper towels only, as most of the people I know would suggest these stores for bigger families only. Then one day we too started going there out of curiosity and now I understand the benefits of buying the groceries in bulk. (But I am still in love with locally grown fresh produce and am buying them religiously. Costco's' produce may be good for larger families, as they all come in big packs like 10 lbs of apple, 20 lbs of onion like that. So you can buy them , if you can consume them quickly). So my costco shopping list would always consist of milk, egg, non perishable items like paper towels, evoo, coconut oil,v8 etc. Best of all , I admire the quality of goods they give at an affordable rate. Believe it or not, they are selling desi ghee and Indian yogurt also in some zip codes. I tried this kirkland butter to make some ghee and it is tastes just like a native homemade Indian ghee. That's my best finding there along with the evoo.  My hubby came to know of this Quinoa rice through his friend and thus it entered our house too. Though we can have it by simply microwaving, I make some variations some days.
I made this on a weekend,  as my readers know that I wish to make something special on every Friday evening for hubby. This simple recipe may make you look like a genius and your sweetheart may think that you have cooked for hours to create this. So try this and enjoy a happy dinner together :)

Note: We can make this recipe by baking the capsicum too. But I am showing a more quicker and aromatic method, the shallow frying.  

Microwaveable quinoa and capsicum 

Shallow frying the capsicum in 1 tbsp evoo.


Microwave the sachet. One would be enough for 2 people.


Stuff the capsicum with cooked rice

Cook again.



Ingredients:
Microwaveable quinoa+rice - 1 cup
Capsicum - 2
salt - little
extra virgin olive oil - 1 tbsp

Method:
Rinse the capsicum. Remove the top (along with stem). Remove the seeds using a spoon or blunt knife. Sprinkle little salt inside and coat the outside with olive oil.
(If you wish you can bake the capsicum at this point at 350 for 10 minutes or till tender).
I suggest shallow frying, as it takes much lesser time and smells good too.
Heat a tbsp of oil in wok.
Place the capsicums and cook covered in low heat. Flip or stir few times. It may take less than 5 minutes to cook it to crisp-tender.
Take them out.
Microwave the 'seeds of change' Quinoa rice as per directions. (Microwave at high for 2 minutes, after cutting a small opening at top).
Take the rice and fill the capsicum cups. If needed , sprinkle some cheese on top (I didn't do it).  Keep the remaining rice for serving along.
Carefully place the capsicums with the cut side up (see photos). Cook covered for 2 minutes in medium heat.
Take out. Serve hot.

Serving suggestion:
Serve as dinner.
Makes 2 servings.

No comments:

Ulunthu kazhi

Ulunthu Kali is a highly energetic food, rich in protein and vitamins. This kaLi is given to girls who have reached puberty for nearly 16 da...